Residential Building Permits
Permits and inspections are required for most work to be done on a property. Click on the appropriate link in the Project Submittal Requirements section below for details about what must be included in the application submission, required inspections and permit fee. Please direct all questions to RESIDENTIALPERMITTING@roundlakebeachil.gov.
Apply in Person
Submit all documents and pay at the Village Hall, lower level counter. The property owner or a contractor may apply. A permit application from a contractor requires the property owner’s approval.
All contractors conducting work in the Village are required to register with VRLB annually.
All permits will require one or more inspections to verify work is being done in compliance with Village codes. The number and type of inspections is detailed in the Project Submittal Requirements. The cost for required inspections are included as part of the permit fee. However, additional fees will be charged for cancellations, no-shows and re-inspections required due to a failed inspection. Actual inspections are always required; pictures will not be accepted in lieu of an inspection. Please be aware:
· It is the owner’s responsibility to call the Village to schedule all inspections (not vice-versa).
· Continuing work without scheduling an inspection at the designated time may result in the Village requiring dismantling of work to assure work has been done in compliance with codes.
· Inspections cannot be scheduled without 48 business hours of advance notice.
· Inspections are assigned a time frame: 8am to 10am, 10am to Noon or 1:15pm to 3:30pm.
· Owners/Contractors must be ready at the beginning of the assigned inspection time frame or will be charged a re-inspection fee. Inspectors cannot wait at the property while you finish your work.
Reasons a Permit May be Denied
There are three primary factors that prevent permit approval: (1) Application submission is incorrect or incomplete, (2) Drawings or specs do not conform to Village codes, or (3) The property has open invoices, liens or code violations. The Village will work with you to resolve any such issue so that your permit request can eventually be approved.
Varies: Application Permit Fee (see Project Submittal Requirements)
$30: Per Each Re-Inspection
$25: Cancellation within 48 Hours of Scheduled Inspection
$25: No-Show at Inspection
$5: Replace Permit Card
$10: Permit Extension
Permit Expiration & Extension
Permits are good for 90 days from the date issued, and may be automatically extended for an additional 90 days one time only. A second and final extension requires special approval and will only be permitted if the applicant has achieved substantial progress toward completion. Upon expiration, a new permit application and application fee is required.
Project Submittal Requirements
Click on the appropriate link for details about what must be included as part of the application submission, required inspections and permit fee.